Teach for America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 8, 2018

3.4

Manager, External Affairs Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Honolulu, HI).

Interview

The interview process was extremely long and involved. I interviewed on the phone, then was asked to come in for an in person interview and complete an activity in advance. After that, I was asked back for two separate in person interviews with different teams. Finally, I was asked to come back to interview with the local director (for a total of five interviews, four in person). The team interviews were especially unpleasant because the panel spent the entire time typing on their laptops and made minimal eye contact, which is a pretty uncomfortable way to have a conversation.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you had a conflict with a coworker and how you handled the situation   1 Answer

Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

I applied for the position online, received a response two weeks later to set up an initial phone interview with the recruiter. First phone conversation went about 40 minutes with a lot of talk about the organization. The following week, I received an email notifying me I was moving forward in the process and scheduled a followup phone interview with the direct manager for the role. Following that conversation, with at least three additional steps in the process, they chose not to pursue me further.

Coordinator Interview

Interview

I applied online and was asked to participate in a brief initial phone interview. Questions asked were standard first interview questions. Followed question/answer format - less of a conversation.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Online application, letters of recommendation, essay questions, group interview, in person interview. During the interview they only asked me about one leadership position on my resume. I could tell the interview was following a template of questions and inserting one of the interviewee's given leadership positions. Questions such as: "tell me about a time you failed in (insert leadership position) and what you did afterwards?" "tell me about a time you didn't get a long with someone in (insert leadership position) and what the affect was" etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were faced with a difficult position as _____ (insert leadership position) and what you did to overcome that obstacle?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

What everyone else has said here - a 5 minute mock lesson followed by a group activity and one-on-one. I was most nervous about the group activity but it turned out to be easiest, just a conversation among people. My mock lesson, which I was well prepared for, did not go as well as hoped, and my one on one was very short, although I was proud that my answers were thoroughly honest, even when I sensed I wasn't giving my interviewer the answers she wanted to hear. My authenticity, commitment to honesty, and staying true to myself seem to have worked in my favor because I was offered a position with the corps.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a difficult colleague?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

Online process requiring transcripts, recommenders, and general essay questions about the mission and some various scenarios about teaching. Important to have a strong resume and essays that lead into an in-person interview.

Anonymous Employee in Storrs, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Storrs, CT) in November 2017.

Interview

Starts by sending in resume and answering a few questions. Next step is recommendations (they fill out a given form) and more questions. Then a skype-type interview with a few other applicants and two recruiters. This was long- we did some group activity (talking through a given prompt/issue) and a 5 minute teaching exercise. Then we did an hour long personal interview alone.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join TFA?
      What is your leadership experience?
      How do you stay organized?
      Think of a time you were in an argument with someone? How did you handle it?
      Would you change how you handled things?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Washington, DC) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied online on their website. Was notified I got through to the interview. I chose a date and interviewed at Peace Corps headquarters in DC. It was a group all day interview.

Started with individual lessons to the group. After we had a session on more information about TFA and people had the chance to ask questions. I didn’t ask any questions there but my group had many really good questions to ask that two ladies interviewing us.

After that we split in to smaller groups 5-6 each and read a scenario and then had time to discuss it while the interviewers just watched and took notes on us. Finally we signed up for our individual interview times within the smaller groups we were in.

During the individual interview we just chatted about my experiences. A time I failed, a time I had to overcome a difficult situation. Use the STAR method they talk about. I honestly didn’t know how I did afterwards. But ended up getting in.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you failed in school   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

I started to fill out an application, whereas shortly after, I was contacted by a staff member who encouraged me to finish my application. I felt like I had a fairly good chance. If you get an interview, get ready to be prepared and be passionate. I was not selected because I lacked passion about urban schools as compared to the other candidates. If you really want this position, you need to make an influence on the interviewers, for they ultimately decide if you'll get accepted.

Interview Questions

• Should a school close down because of budget cuts or remain and cut teachers?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Nashville, TN).

Interview

A lengthy interview process that included one on one interview as well as group teaching demonstration. The interviewers were nice although very in sync with their process. They would copy down verbatim my answers on their computer as I answered questions from their list, which was a bit odd.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your educational experience.   1 Answer