Teach for America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 24, 2018

3.4

Manager, External Affairs Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Honolulu, HI).

Interview

The interview process was extremely long and involved. I interviewed on the phone, then was asked to come in for an in person interview and complete an activity in advance. After that, I was asked back for two separate in person interviews with different teams. Finally, I was asked to come back to interview with the local director (for a total of five interviews, four in person). The team interviews were especially unpleasant because the panel spent the entire time typing on their laptops and made minimal eye contact, which is a pretty uncomfortable way to have a conversation.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you had a conflict with a coworker and how you handled the situation   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in February 2018.

Interview

Online process include recommendations, short answer questions, transcript upload and dissection, and interview readings. Group Interview process includes two TFA members and 10 other potential TFA members doing what your doing that do the demo lesson and then discuss the scenario. Individual interviews are one on one with the TFA member where they look at your online information. (I have not received a response so I put that I got it - but it takes a week to find out)

TFA Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Atlanta, GA) in January 2018.

Interview

This interview was surprisingly pretty fun. Both the interviewers were warm and welcoming and so were all the other candidates. We started the interview with the sample teaching. Each interviewee had 5 minutes to teach the "class" a lesson. It was fun engaging in everyone's lessons. After the lessons, we listened to the two interviewers share their TFA experiences and more about TFA's mission. Then we split into groups of 4 to do the group activity. The group activity involved everyone reading a problem and discussing the pros and cons of two solutions to find the best solution. The problem my group faced was should a school district close schools or lay off teachers due to budget cuts. After the group activity, everyone signed up for the one-on-one interview. I was lucky because my interview was very engaging and interesting. I was prepared for her questions and it went by fairly quickly. She asked several resume - specific questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL) in January 2018.

Interview

The hiring process took about 2 months. I first filled out the online application, then I was contacted by phone by my local recruiter. They claim it's not an interview, but it does seem like a general pre-interview. I then had to wait 2 weeks to find out if I was invited for a final interview. Once I was, I had to complete some online pre-activity things online and was able to select an interview day (they interview for a week) about 2 weeks later. During the interview, you are with a group of 10 other applicants and the first hour and a half are devoted to 5 minute teaching lessons by all of the applicants. Then you move onto the group activity where they break you up into 2 teams where you are each given a scenario, and the observers observe how each of you interact in the discussion of the scenario. When this part is completed, everyone goes and selects their personal interview time. If you are able to select the first time slot, you'll be done for the day by the afternoon. However, if you get the last interview time, you can plan to be there until nearly 5 pm. Then you move onto the informational part of the interview where the two observers/interviewers tell you about TFA and their experiences. After this part of the interview, the scheduled personal interviews begin which are an hour long.

Overall, on the interview day, the experience was pretty chill. It wasn't as difficult, in my opinion, as others had made it seem based on the reviews that were posted on here. Make sure you do thorough research of TFA and how to apply/interview with them (i.e., watch youtube videos of past applicants). This helped me greatly in preparing for my interview and what lesson I would do. I do think that since the application process is so lengthy and daunting, that during the entire hiring process they make it seem like you ARE going to be hired which can be very misleading.

Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

I applied for the position online, received a response two weeks later to set up an initial phone interview with the recruiter. First phone conversation went about 40 minutes with a lot of talk about the organization. The following week, I received an email notifying me I was moving forward in the process and scheduled a followup phone interview with the direct manager for the role. Following that conversation, with at least three additional steps in the process, they chose not to pursue me further.

Coordinator Interview

Interview

I applied online and was asked to participate in a brief initial phone interview. Questions asked were standard first interview questions. Followed question/answer format - less of a conversation.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Washington, DC) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied online on their website. Was notified I got through to the interview. I chose a date and interviewed at Peace Corps headquarters in DC. It was a group all day interview.

Started with individual lessons to the group. After we had a session on more information about TFA and people had the chance to ask questions. I didn’t ask any questions there but my group had many really good questions to ask that two ladies interviewing us.

After that we split in to smaller groups 5-6 each and read a scenario and then had time to discuss it while the interviewers just watched and took notes on us. Finally we signed up for our individual interview times within the smaller groups we were in.

During the individual interview we just chatted about my experiences. A time I failed, a time I had to overcome a difficult situation. Use the STAR method they talk about. I honestly didn’t know how I did afterwards. But ended up getting in.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you failed in school   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

I started to fill out an application, whereas shortly after, I was contacted by a staff member who encouraged me to finish my application. I felt like I had a fairly good chance. If you get an interview, get ready to be prepared and be passionate. I was not selected because I lacked passion about urban schools as compared to the other candidates. If you really want this position, you need to make an influence on the interviewers, for they ultimately decide if you'll get accepted.

Interview Questions

• Should a school close down because of budget cuts or remain and cut teachers?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Online application, letters of recommendation, essay questions, group interview, in person interview. During the interview they only asked me about one leadership position on my resume. I could tell the interview was following a template of questions and inserting one of the interviewee's given leadership positions. Questions such as: "tell me about a time you failed in (insert leadership position) and what you did afterwards?" "tell me about a time you didn't get a long with someone in (insert leadership position) and what the affect was" etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were faced with a difficult position as _____ (insert leadership position) and what you did to overcome that obstacle?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

What everyone else has said here - a 5 minute mock lesson followed by a group activity and one-on-one. I was most nervous about the group activity but it turned out to be easiest, just a conversation among people. My mock lesson, which I was well prepared for, did not go as well as hoped, and my one on one was very short, although I was proud that my answers were thoroughly honest, even when I sensed I wasn't giving my interviewer the answers she wanted to hear. My authenticity, commitment to honesty, and staying true to myself seem to have worked in my favor because I was offered a position with the corps.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a difficult colleague?   1 Answer