Teach for America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2018

3.4

Teacher Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The interview was a huge commitment with sample teaching lesson plan, interview, and background presentation. They also expect minimum four essays. I could've been doing better things than wait for TFA's lackadaisical response.

Teacher Interview

Interview

First went through a phone interview. Prepared a sample of a 2 minute classroom lesson for a certain grade level. Then completed a group activity where observed our team skills. Then met in person for 1 hour interview.

Interview Questions

• Hypothetical scenarios that you could face in the classroom/school.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in April 2018.

Interview

Went over the agenda for the day. Then did a group interview, discussion, and personal interview. Interviewers were pleasant and easy going. The interview day was rather long (I began at 10AM and didn't finish until 4PM).

MTLD Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Completed an online application for the role, was invited to complete 2 phone interview rounds with scenarios you had to role play. Final round was a video interview with the regional director.

Interview Questions

• You notice two CMs are disengaged during sessions and missed your last deadline - how would you approach the situation?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Very open especially with the lesson plan. First I applied online. Then I had to wait awhile to see if I was selected for an interview; however, I want straight to the final interview.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

It starts with recruitment about three months prior to when your interview would be, and a month before an application deadline. In hindsight, even if I didn't get an offer for an interview after submitting an application, the recruiter makes sure to have multiple calls with you in the interest of making you more eager to apply and excited. Once offered an interview after submitting my application, I had to wait three weeks for my interview. This gets you into the end of February of senior year (for undergrads applying). The interview requires you to make a five-minute lesson out of thin air, to present it flawlessly, and make it interactive, concise and attention-grabbing. You are then judged on "leadership" and "participation" with your group interview by being given a question that is obvious how to be solved and addressed. Finally, you have a one-on-one interview that is just like an interview for any other job and has nothing to do with children or being a teacher. TFA really seems to select on superficial qualities, and are duly concerned with who they produce and their products. It does not matter if you care about the cause, about being in the classroom, or being a teacher. What does matter is if you were class president if you were honor roll all four years and if you will go onto policy or law and can say you were a corps member so they can put it on their brochure. I am not sure if they know that the top 10% of a graduating class is not interested in TFA in comparison to people who have a commitment and passion to educational equity or caring for children.

Interview Questions

• What was the hardest class you have taken?   1 Answer
    • How would you describe your organizational skills?   Answer Question

Final Evaluator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The overall process was fairly straightforward. I had been involved in admissions for several years, and I received an email from TFA inviting me to apply for a final evaluator position.
    I then submitted an application, completed a brief activity, and had phone interview with admissions staff.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Boston, MA) in March 2018.

Interview

Virtual Interview. Group Activity for 2 hours and then personal interview.
    There is a pre screening beforehand and then pre-work that is done before the interview.
    Still waiting on admissions decision

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you dealt with a difficult colleague.   1 Answer
    • Have you ever missed a deadline?   1 Answer
    • Why TFA?   1 Answer

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America in March 2018.

Interview

The video interview consisted of a brief introduction followed by a 5 minute lesson plan taught by each (10) interviewee. After this was the group activity where all interviewees had to work together to choose the best solution to a problem that the interviewers presented. During this process the interviewers observed the interactions, took notes, and did not participate. The activity was timed and after group activity, everyone signed up for their interview time. The one on one interview lasted about 40 mins.

Interview Questions

• -Why do you want to work for TFA?
      -How do you stay organized?
      -Describe your college experience   Answer Question

Manager, External Affairs Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Honolulu, HI).

Interview

The interview process was extremely long and involved. I interviewed on the phone, then was asked to come in for an in person interview and complete an activity in advance. After that, I was asked back for two separate in person interviews with different teams. Finally, I was asked to come back to interview with the local director (for a total of five interviews, four in person). The team interviews were especially unpleasant because the panel spent the entire time typing on their laptops and made minimal eye contact, which is a pretty uncomfortable way to have a conversation.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you had a conflict with a coworker and how you handled the situation   1 Answer