Teach for America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Nov 10, 2017

3.4

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Online application, letters of recommendation, essay questions, group interview, in person interview. During the interview they only asked me about one leadership position on my resume. I could tell the interview was following a template of questions and inserting one of the interviewee's given leadership positions. Questions such as: "tell me about a time you failed in (insert leadership position) and what you did afterwards?" "tell me about a time you didn't get a long with someone in (insert leadership position) and what the affect was" etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were faced with a difficult position as _____ (insert leadership position) and what you did to overcome that obstacle?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

What everyone else has said here - a 5 minute mock lesson followed by a group activity and one-on-one. I was most nervous about the group activity but it turned out to be easiest, just a conversation among people. My mock lesson, which I was well prepared for, did not go as well as hoped, and my one on one was very short, although I was proud that my answers were thoroughly honest, even when I sensed I wasn't giving my interviewer the answers she wanted to hear. My authenticity, commitment to honesty, and staying true to myself seem to have worked in my favor because I was offered a position with the corps.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a difficult colleague?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

Online process requiring transcripts, recommenders, and general essay questions about the mission and some various scenarios about teaching. Important to have a strong resume and essays that lead into an in-person interview.

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Nashville, TN).

Interview

A lengthy interview process that included one on one interview as well as group teaching demonstration. The interviewers were nice although very in sync with their process. They would copy down verbatim my answers on their computer as I answered questions from their list, which was a bit odd.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your educational experience.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Teach for America (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

informal coffee with a TFA recruiter, whole group interview with a dozen other competing corp members with roundtable questions and teaching segment wherein each applicant had to prepare a lesson and teach it to others, individual interview the same day

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a teacher?   1 Answer

Corps Memember Interview

Interview

Interview was made up of three parts - a five minute sample lesson, a group task, and an individual interview. The group of fellow applicant were really friendly and I found it to be a much more of a collaborative environment than a competitive one.

Interview Questions

• Can you talk about a time when you quit a major commitment?   Answer Question

Teach for America Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Teach for America (Orlando, FL) in October 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very warming and engaging! Group setting with learning about each other and also why a person would want to do Teach for America. Explain your grade level interests.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Ann Arbor, MI) in October 2017.

Interview

Interviewing with others is always a bit stressful, but they did a good job of establishing a sense of teamwork within the interview. The interviewers could answer questions limited to their own experience, but that is to be expected with as many regions as TFA has, and this doesn't matter as long as you do your research.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

In-depth. Pay attention to the core values within Teach For America, and you are rated based on those. Additionally, be comfortable with your lesson. The application may lead to a phone interview, but for me I jumped ahead to the final interview process. This might occur if you have previous Teach For America experience.

Managing Director, Information Security Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied for the job directly on the website and a few weeks later I was contacted by an internal Director to interview for the position. First round was to see if the position and company was a fit. Immediately they moved to talking about salary requirements, i stated what I was looking for after doing research into the market and my salary history. They told me the max range they could pay and if i was interested in moving forward. I was still interested in having conversations with the team and moving forward in the process.

A week and a half later I had another interview this one more formal. We went through my background and experience, my personality to see if I would be a fit for the company goals, values and culture.

A week later I was told I would be having a phone interview with the Hiring Manager for the position and this was scheduled. The day of the interview I went to logon and find the specific job description to better prepare for the interview and found that the Title was changed to Senior Engineer. Parts of the job description were changed as well. I have never in my career experienced this type of bait and switch. No one had contacted me ahead of time to tell me about the change, and had I not logged into the Applicant Tracking System I would have never noticed.

The hiring manager tried to tell me during our interview time that the title was just changed to get more of a talent pool, but this process went south very quickly and was obvious that the talent pool was expensive for a Director, so they de-scoped to an engineer.