Teach for America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Dec 5, 2017

3.4

Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

I applied for the position online, received a response two weeks later to set up an initial phone interview with the recruiter. First phone conversation went about 40 minutes with a lot of talk about the organization. The following week, I received an email notifying me I was moving forward in the process and scheduled a followup phone interview with the direct manager for the role. Following that conversation, with at least three additional steps in the process, they chose not to pursue me further.

Coordinator Interview

Interview

I applied online and was asked to participate in a brief initial phone interview. Questions asked were standard first interview questions. Followed question/answer format - less of a conversation.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Online application, letters of recommendation, essay questions, group interview, in person interview. During the interview they only asked me about one leadership position on my resume. I could tell the interview was following a template of questions and inserting one of the interviewee's given leadership positions. Questions such as: "tell me about a time you failed in (insert leadership position) and what you did afterwards?" "tell me about a time you didn't get a long with someone in (insert leadership position) and what the affect was" etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were faced with a difficult position as _____ (insert leadership position) and what you did to overcome that obstacle?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

What everyone else has said here - a 5 minute mock lesson followed by a group activity and one-on-one. I was most nervous about the group activity but it turned out to be easiest, just a conversation among people. My mock lesson, which I was well prepared for, did not go as well as hoped, and my one on one was very short, although I was proud that my answers were thoroughly honest, even when I sensed I wasn't giving my interviewer the answers she wanted to hear. My authenticity, commitment to honesty, and staying true to myself seem to have worked in my favor because I was offered a position with the corps.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a difficult colleague?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

Online process requiring transcripts, recommenders, and general essay questions about the mission and some various scenarios about teaching. Important to have a strong resume and essays that lead into an in-person interview.

Anonymous Employee in Storrs, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Storrs, CT) in November 2017.

Interview

Starts by sending in resume and answering a few questions. Next step is recommendations (they fill out a given form) and more questions. Then a skype-type interview with a few other applicants and two recruiters. This was long- we did some group activity (talking through a given prompt/issue) and a 5 minute teaching exercise. Then we did an hour long personal interview alone.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join TFA?
      What is your leadership experience?
      How do you stay organized?
      Think of a time you were in an argument with someone? How did you handle it?
      Would you change how you handled things?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Nashville, TN).

Interview

A lengthy interview process that included one on one interview as well as group teaching demonstration. The interviewers were nice although very in sync with their process. They would copy down verbatim my answers on their computer as I answered questions from their list, which was a bit odd.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your educational experience.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Teach for America (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

informal coffee with a TFA recruiter, whole group interview with a dozen other competing corp members with roundtable questions and teaching segment wherein each applicant had to prepare a lesson and teach it to others, individual interview the same day

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a teacher?   1 Answer

Corps Memember Interview

Interview

Interview was made up of three parts - a five minute sample lesson, a group task, and an individual interview. The group of fellow applicant were really friendly and I found it to be a much more of a collaborative environment than a competitive one.

Interview Questions

• Can you talk about a time when you quit a major commitment?   Answer Question

Teach for America Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Teach for America (Orlando, FL) in October 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very warming and engaging! Group setting with learning about each other and also why a person would want to do Teach for America. Explain your grade level interests.