Maurices Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
George Goldfarb

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great discount to help build your wardrobe (in 101 reviews)

• You'd think one of the best reasons to work is for the 40% discount, well as it turns out this company has much more to offer (in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • Focuses too much on credit card sign ups-very hard to get (in 111 reviews)

• Work life balance was not good, but they did the best they could with it being retail (in 20 reviews)

1. "Great company to work for, given the store you're in"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Norman, OK
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Norman, OK

I have been working at Maurices part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great discount, plenty of opportunities or growth, fun, fast-paced atmosphere

Cons

below-average pay, return policy makes it easy for customers to bully associates

Advice to Management

Listen to your associates. They're just as much a part of the team as you are, and if you treat them like they don't matter, you lose them.

2. "Best Retail I have found"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Maurices full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For retail better work/life balance, pay is better for internal promotion. I was with Torrid 9 years and my pay was almost the same at Maurice's with half the volume

Cons

It's retail so if you want all weekends off not for you.

Advice to Management

Make sure you are a true team and keep motivating and appreciating team to keep them

3. "Great Company"

I have been working at Maurices part-time

Pros

Positive environment to work in as long as your management is strong, you have support from the district & market leaders, & they recognize your efforts with support, & encouragement. When all of that and strong communication stays consistent, your team be just as amazing to you as you are to them. Dressing the Customers is the best part of the job. Discounts are pretty sweet too. I liked the insurance as well. Calling customers by their name, & knowing you made a difference in their life that day is so rewarding. Working at Maurice's is genuinely a very fun, & exciting place!

Cons

Well when you're lacking everything in the pros from your team, you're just not happy there. And trust me in retail it happens a lot.

Advice to Management

I recently had a manager get upset because I decided to stay rather than transfer. I've been with the company for 3 years. I've even developed a work relationship with her as well. She stated I blindsided her by staying. Mind you, she's just lost 3 employees due to college. So I assumed with our previous work relationship she'd be glad to keep me. Well as it turns out, given how low she has cut my hours, not so much. I don't feel valued, appreciated, & often times feel as if me staying has become an inconvenience. Confrontations with her and I lately have not been easy at all. It hurts, but I'm feeling, even after all the time I've invested, that I should move on. I've enjoyed the customers so much. But dreading going into work, & not desiring to have a talk with her is making work quite uncomfortable any more. I hope no one else experiences what I have after 3 years of putting your heart, & passion into a job you truly once LOVED!!

4. "store manager was a nightmare"

I worked at Maurices full-time

Pros

Lots of company enthusiasm for fashion and personalized experiences. cute clothes. 40% discount, plus an occasional additional discount. Lots of opportunity for advancement.

Cons

store manager had inadequate training which trickled down throughout the store and resulted in low sales and numbers. instead of "coaching," like the company teaches heavily throughout training procedures, the store manager would often get angry, shift blame, resort to petty behavior, bad mouth sales associates and other managers, and make little to no effort to actually work on store wide opportunity areas. I also heard numerous racist comments out of the store managers mouth throughout the few months I worked there.

Advice to Management

Take the time to actually get to know and train a store manager instead of rushing to find just anyone.

5. "The SM was amazing & the only reason I stayed as long as I did"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Maurices full-time

Pros

Company discount & incentives are amazing if you make/exceed goals. Far more technologically advanced than most companies, providing additional resources to accommodate customers as well as employees in way of handheld checkout, online ordering, training modules & markdown scanners.

Cons

Company is constantly changing their vision, so pretty much once you feel somewhat comfortable in your training & implantation, it completely changes. In management especially, this is incredibly frustrating/overwhelming to keep up with! Maurice's definitely needs to implement a system to contain customer fraudulent returns, by way of shoplifting mostly, and be willing to refuse those returns after a certain # are made without a receipt(obvious abuse)! Until then, along with many other companies, it will continue to be a shoplifters paradise!

Advice to Management

This advice is for the company, not management! Please figure out what works best, and stick with it! The tedious micromanagement is unrealistic when the expectations are forever changing!

6. "Look elsewhere"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Cedar Park, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Cedar Park, TX

I worked at Maurices part-time

Pros

The discount 40% off regular price items and 20% off discounted items

Cons

There was never time for the training that was promised.
    In addition, I had made a couple of request off giving 2+ months in advance and the manager became upset. I understand it was a request and was not a guarantee. I was told that I 'spend enough time with my family.' and that I would not be given the time off. That is not how to treat employees.

Advice to Management

There needs to be hours set aside for training.
    Also, the managers need to have a system for requesting time off.

7. "Best Job I'll Ever Have"

Pros

Maurices was my first job as a 17 year old, and they trained me well. I felt I got a good work ethic and learned basics that would carry over to many other jobs for years to come.

Cons

Upper management seemed to not care about our store, which left the store manager and even other managers feeling annoyed and lost.

8. "Good first job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Maurices part-time (More than a year)

Pros

40% discount, extra discounts occasionally, gifts for workers from corporate, incentives

Cons

Limited movement in position or pay, gossipy environment, passive aggressive management, stressful at times

9. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Maurices part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is always opportunity for growth and lots of positions opening up. You can have piercings, bright colored hair, ripped jeans and wear sneakers as long as you're on trend. If your store is doing well you can earn bonuses and other little thank you gifts from corporate. They allow meetings once a month which I feel is important to keep everyone on the same page. Fun coworkers, almost like family.

Cons

Hours vary a lot. I've seen as much as 40 hours in a week and as less as 15.

10. "Especially good workplace for teens"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Maurices part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount, time made for style, educational videos, room for advancement

Cons

The sop for management could be easily taken the wrong way