Northwestern Mutual Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 23, 2017
1,909 Interview Reviews

2.4

Sales Representative Interview

Interview

Started with an intro call with a recruiter, who sent me to the Chicago recruiter. Both very conversational and fun. They were very responsive to hard questions that I asked and were very quick to get back to me.

Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Appleton, WI).

Interview

There are three "interviews". I use quotations because they call it a mutual selection. They offer you a position on the spot of the third interview as long as you can formulate a proper sentence, maybe even then, they'll still offer you a position as long as you keep going back. They make it out to be that you are doing such important life changing work but really you guilt trip your friends and family to by life insurance.

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

There were 3 interviews which consisted of detailed questioning and a company specific project. We did the Same things a full time financial representative would do as interns. It was very insightful and gave an up close and personal look into all that is involved in that career.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 year   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Phone Interview. Interview was nice and offered a lot of information about the position and what it entails. Typical behavioral questions. Took about 40 minutes. The questions only lasted about 15 minutes and then we talked about compensation and how all of the interns get mentored and have a lot of guidance as long as they want it during the summer. Emphasized that hard workers can make a lot and have the most success.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Interview seemed very jumbled and unorganized throughout the entire process. I had accepted the offer a semester prior to starting the internship before realizing the company was not well prepared for an internship program. Management was not professional or personable. I would highly recommend for those interested in this position to reconsider as the company did put more importance on the internship over school work.

Interview Questions

• questions were based on getting to know you versus the position   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Basic behavioral questions, and the person tries to become your good friend through out the interview. I was asked right away to go to the second round, but at the end they sneak in there that you have to go and find your own clientele. It is not worth it. I politely declined the next day

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to deal with a very difficult situation at work?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

The interview was mostly behavioral. They did not as any technical questions from what I could remember. I would recommend reading up on the company and being able to walk the through your resume. The main qualification they seem to be looking for are solid communication skills and time management skills.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I met them at my career fair, and had an interview at their office the following week. I then had a second interview at their office, where I was given the task of contacting 7 people to get references.

Interview Questions

• What have you done to manage a team or a group of people?   Answer Question

It was an internship during the school year, which I could not do because I got another after-class job.

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

I received an email asking to call a recruiter to set up a phone interview. The recruiter also asked me to fill out a personality questionnaire before the interview. The interviewer was pretty nice and asked mostly straightforward questions. After the interview, I was provided with more information about the internship, but was asked to fill out a "Market Survey", which was to interview 10 people and ask them certain questions about insurance and finances that you were provided with. The goal was to get 20 referrals from the people you interviewed, and could not continue with the next step of the interview process unless you did so. I decided not to continue with this process, as I did not feel comfortable with what I would be doing. If you are willing to talk to anyone, including family and friends, about getting insurance, than this may be a good opportunity for you.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poughkeepsie, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Poughkeepsie, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process is easy and done in a professional/relaxed environment. It is nothing to be too stressed about. Just like any interview process, come prepared with questions. The interviewer is friendly and more than happy to answer any questions or doubts you might have.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you failed and what did you learn from it?   Answer Question