Software Development Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Software Development Manager Interview Questions

"Software Development Managers manage teams of engineers and work closely with product managers in order to oversee the development of a software product from start to completion. Employers are looking for strong leaders with solid communication skills and in depth knowledge of the software development process. In an interview, be ready to field technical questions as well as discuss how you would prioritize projects. A bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field and several years experience in software development is expected."

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

What are some of the things you might consider when designing a database?

2 Answers

(Books have been written about this). "Normalization vs. denormalization, data model accurately reflects problem domain, adaptability / maintainability, performance, indexing, partitioning.

The key aspects to consider are normalization vs. denormalization, partitioning, data model accurately reflects problem domain, adaptability and maintainability, performance, and indexing

What would you say are the minimal requirements needed to successfully manage a software development project?

3 Answers

What would you do if senior management demanded delivery of software in an impossible deadline?

2 Answers

Given a large unsorted text file containing thousands of words count the number of times each word appears.

2 Answers

Do you have direct reports? This is an engineering manager position.

1 Answer

What are the challenges in designing an application

1 Answer

Q. How to prioritize the features slotted for a given release.

1 Answer

I didn't know you were a manager before...where's that?

2 Answers

Will you adhere to our business code of conduct?

1 Answer

Though I was interviewing for a manager role, it was for a technical team so I was asked to design a million-disk array alerting system. They seemed to be looking for my understanding of disk arrays and the complexities of alerts/managing of large systems.

110 of 225 Interview Questions