Eventbrite Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Eventbrite Co-Founder & CEO Julia Hartz
Julia Hartz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Supported as a working parent and to maintain a healthy work/life balance (in 31 reviews)

• I couldn't ask for a better work/life balance (in my position, you can work from home (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any company, there are growing pains that come along with change (in 11 reviews)

• Would be good to have clearer career growth opportunities (in 9 reviews)

"I'm glad to be working here"

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time

Pros

Julia, our CEO genuinely cares about our people. The company is committed to building a strong culture and workplace, for all the right reasons. We are doing fantastically well from a business perspective. So it feels like the sky is the limit.

Cons

Things are moving fast and there is tons of change. This is perfect for some people - I love the challenge so far. But it can be stressful at times and prioritizing is key.

Advice to Management

Stick to your priorities, don't try to do too many things at once, and never lose the focus on people and culture.

"The most fulfilling and challenging professional experience I've had to date."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For me, the most important things to find in a company are tough problems to solve, inspiring co-workers, and collaboration. Over the past few years at Eventbrite, I can say without a doubt that I am having the most fulfilling and challenging professional experience I've had to date.

We're at a really interesting point in the Eventbrite's journey, where we are big enough that have resources to go after crazy challenges, but small enough that not everything is figured out yet. After about 6 months of establishing that I was competent at my job, I have felt continuously pushed to raise my hand and solve tough problems. I've gotten to take on responsibilities that are usually reserved for high level management, and I get to work strategically while also getting my hands dirty. I can honestly say I've learned more in my few years here than I had in my whole career prior, and I think the experience I've gotten here sets me up well for the rest of my career. I've always felt encouraged to seek that career growth within Eventbrite.

Solving tough problems is more fun when you work with impressive people, and I feel lucky to be surrounded by some really brilliant individual contributors and inspirational leaders. Even as Eventbrite grows, there is a feeling of a family that Julia has found a way to keep around.

What continues to inspire me about Eventbrite is the spirit of collaboration. Over the past year, and definitely for the next few years to come, we will be figuring out how to work together as a large global company. While these growing pains are really hard to go through for any company, I feel strongly that we will excel - simply due to our dedication to collaboration. I've seen many cross-functional projects exceed expectations, and I've seen us gracefully move through large acquisitions - and it all comes down to collaboration. At the end of the day, we get to solve tough problems, with smart colleagues, and we are dedicated to working together to make it happen. After a few years, that still gets me excited to come to work every day.

Cons

Over the past 2.5 years, we expanded globally very aggressively. We added offices in new countries and added a lot of new Britelings - both organically and via acquisition. This was not an easy expansion to go through.

For me, the biggest downfall of the expansion we've gone through was the fear that our culture could be diluted. There were times when it felt like we were making decisions based 100% on what was good for the bottom line, and losing our focus on growing a people-first, "best company to work for."

While I would say there were a handful of cons that came with this growth (RIFs, lack of focus on global competitive total compensation, feelings of distrust and lack of a clear path forward), I have started to see a clear shift back to our goal of becoming the best ticketing technology company AND the best company to work for - in tandem. This shift is noticeable, especially with the hiring of Omer Cohen, our new Chief People officer, and that prompted me to write this review.

Advice to Management

Over the past 6 months, there has been a clear shift towards reclaiming our "best place to work" focus. I've noticed changes in how transparent e-staff is, I've noticed more input from middle management around the globe, and I've noticed a big change in focus on career growth, L&D, and Total Rewards since Omer joined. Please keep us moving in this direction! We want to be the best ticketing technology company in the world, but we also want to be the best company to work for.

"Best company I've ever worked for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked at Eventbrite for over a year and I can say that I still look forward to going into work everyday and I am still happy on a daily basis that I was given the opportunity to work here.

The people, culture, environment, etc is incredible. I have never been happier with a company and, at this point in my life, I can honestly say that I don't see myself leaving any time in the near future.

The company is very transparent with everything that that can be and I feel constantly supported by my supervisor. They are sincerely invested in your growth and career path. I have had the opportunity to transfer into three different positions so far during my time here and I constantly see people getting promoted internally and given the opportunity to interview for many different teams/positions. They are very invested in their employees and highly encourage a work-life balance and opportunities to shadow other teams for new opportunities within the company.

Bottom line- I love working at Eventbrite and cannot speak highly enough about it!

Cons

We have grown rapidly and that can make finding a conference room challenging at times, so I would like to see investment in additional private meeting spaces at some of our offices, but otherwise I sincerely love working here and really can't think of many other cons.

"4 years later and I still love coming to work every day"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I couldn't be more proud to work for a company like Eventbrite. Beyond the amazing benefits (...and they ARE amazing - and just keep getting better!), and my co-workers who have become my family, I feel challenged and fulfilled with the work that I do. I can see where my work makes an impact for the company at large and I feel supported by direct manager, my c-level manager, and my team.

There is so much transparency, and ability to ask questions to management up to CEO level, but you have to take advantage of the opportunities. (ie: asking questions in Hearts to Hartz and being open in team meetings and your 1:1's with your manager if you have questions or issues to address)

I'd say even after two major acquisitions last year, we're operating at the best I've seen in my 4 years at the company, and I'm so excited to see where 2018 takes us!

Cons

There were some growing pains last year that I think some people felt more than others, but I'm seeing action being taken to solve those issues. So, while I'd put this as a "con" for last year - It's actually more of a "pro" for this year.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent and listening to your team. 1:1's are important, so always keep them consistent, no matter how busy you get!

"Great community, growing and organized."

Current Employee - Music Business Unit Customer Support in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Music Business Unit Customer Support in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great group of people to work with. There's always something going on. Everyone helps each other so throughout the day doesn't seem as bad when when you get the best clients of the day.

Cons

Going over benefits is a struggle but there are great benefits.

Advice to Management

Have a designated time just to go over benefits

"Stay away"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Nash, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Nash, TN

I worked at Eventbrite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice looking Office , Free lunch , parking is paid for, free beer

Cons

Worst professional experience ever. Don't get fooled by high ratings. They are from young new hires who are fascinated by free coffee, snacks, and energy drinks. This place has massive deep-rooted problems that are not going away. Its like working in a frat house.

- Managers - extremely incompetent, inexperienced, unprofessional. One manager openly said "Its like high school here... CS, Developers are the nerds, and sales are the popular kids" I thought this was funny and meant as a joke -- but she and most of the sales team genuinely believe that... this brought up SO MUCH Politics - all this makes it impossible to get things done

- No opportunities for career development and nobody really cares about developing talent. You are blindly promised development, training -- but instead you are given 1-on-1 with your managers that are not helpful. They say they are open to questions at any time ... I asked a question once and they said "what? thats a weird question..? kinda dumb?" I get you want to foster a competitive spirit in the office - but thats just bullying and not helpful

- During my interview, I had mentioned I had wanted to go back to school... I was promised tuition reimbursement, time off, flexible schedule, and more. But after joining the team, all dreams of going back to school and pursuing an MBA were met by odd looks and "oh... why??" or "no... we don't have a tuition reimbursement program"

- This place fires people all the time and not in a nice way - you will be doing everything perfectly and arrive one day to your desk being cleaned and you being escorted out the building in front of everyone. Other places, if you're doing something wrong, you get further training and help. Here, however, they just fire you. Or apparently... if they don't like you.. you're fired.

- compensation is VERY low compared to industry standards

Eventbrite Response

Jan 2, 2018 – Lead, Recruiting Operations

I appreciate the feedback you’ve shared here, and it has sparked a valuable conversation amongst our leadership team. If you’re up for sharing more detail about your experience, I’d love to chat... More

"Struggling to make profit. Inexperienced managers. Huge tech debt. Office politics & groupism b/h faux-positivity"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-$100 per month commute allowance
    - free snacks, fruits and coffee
    -free catered lunch 4 times a week. Quality is mediocre and options are limited if you are vegan/vegetarian.
    -nice espresso coffee machine
    - modern, big office
    - you can park yourself here and work for your pay stub.

Cons

Most managers don't have any prior experience in people management. Please do yourself a favor and review profiles of Engineering managers at EvenBrite before considering taking a job here. Be careful of not hurting manager's ego even accidentally and unintentionally, or be ready to be terminated at any minute. Seeing your colleagues suddenly getting disappeared is a norm here.

Communicating indirectly behind the back and in the groups is the accepted practice here. Meetings are used for discovering what other thinks. There is just weird tendency of agreeing as group. People Don't raise genuine issues and express honest opinions as they fear getting isolated and retaliation from rest of the group. Even long-time employees don't speak a word as they are waiting for an IPO to encash their stock options.

It is the worst quality code base I have ever seen in my long career. Accruing technical debt is encouraged as inexperienced managers attempts to direct entry level developers without any planning and design. Much of the code is a monolith and remains unchanged since inception. Tight coupling, circular dependencies and code duplication is common occurrence. Unfortunately in the absence of mentorship and guidance , young developers write best what they can. There are no architects around.

There is no thought leadership other than repeated attempts to induce excitements by announcing birthdays and anniversaries, cheering inter-project movement and celebrating festivals. There is nothing wrong with celebration. However there ia a lot of faux-positivity. Most young employees are attracted by this, free food, shower in the office and relaxed work environment. However there is no real growth and in absence of challenges and mentorhip, there isn't much to learn.

Salary is subpar as compared to average salaries in SF. Beware of those stock options as the strike price is very high. When you are granted $40K of stocks every year, you are getting $65k of options that you can exercise only if you pay $25k in cash. Since it is private equity, you cannot sell your stocks until company goes an IPO or mgmt gets approved investors. It means your money is stuck if you decide to leave. There is no 401k match. no bonuses. No PTOs and no cash payment for PTOs.

Unlimited TTYN policy isn't same as unlimited PTOs. Per CA laws, employees earn PTO/ vacation time and it is your right to spend the way you want. With unlimited time-off, it is on the discretion to your manager to approve your time-off. You may be asked to reduce your vacation, participate into meetings and supporting 'business' during your time-off.

There is no work methodology followed here. Company has recently started introducing Scrum(in 2017) and most teams don't like it. Basically running projects with no focus and hiding failures behind excuses and allegations is the preferred way. Often decisions are based on individual biases without considering any data points. No wonder why many project fails and company is struggling to make profits. Also very few customers bring repeat business and many of themare tired of technology issues and high fees. Management has shifted its strategy to acquire companies as it cannot fix inherent problems and grow organically. Management is aware that without consistent growth company cannot go for IPO.

Performance is reviewed every quarter. When the project fails, engineering manager starts finding a scapegoat, blame failures on that person and fire him. I have seen this pattern repeating numerous times. I have even witnessed people getting extremely positive review in last quarter but fired within a month for performance reasons. Make sure to dine and drink with your group members and build a personal relationship or you are next in the line.

I have seen many il-managed companies in my long career. But this one is the worst. Everyone in middle and top management has an inflated ego.

Other cons - only 1 restroom with 4 lavatories for an office space of 50,000 sq ft and among ~300 people. Long queues in the morning is norm. Loud rock music in the restroom doesn't help so please stop playing it.
    It is imposdible to find a conference for next 2 days.

Advice to Management

To middle management: Try introspecting at least once to find out root causes instead of blaming failures. Take some training in people management if you are inexperienced.or if you need it. Your job is to help your team resolving blockers so better start running 1:1s with agenda and have an action items out of each meeting. 1:1s isn't meant for gossips and finding scapegoats.

To top management - Hope you know what happens at ground-level. Please be aware who is fired and hired. Many good employees are leaving because of incompetent and egoistic middle management. Start paying attention to your customers and employees as acquiring companies alone cannot help you achieve the growth you are looking for an IPO.

Eventbrite Response

Nov 20, 2017 – Eventbrite

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback. I'm sorry you had a negative experience at Eventbrite - this certainly isn't the type of experience I want anyone on the Engineering team to have... More

"Don't believe the hype..Unprofessional, Poorly Managed, Fake"

I worked at Eventbrite full-time

Pros

Apply only if you like free snacks, good healthcare, and brand recognition...that's about it.

Cons

-miscommunication throughout leadership
    -consistent lies about growth and care were a regular
    -growth opportunities are based purely on bureaucracy and politics...if you're good at the corporate game and can drink the kool-aid, then come on in
    -Disrespect towards former employees, let me explain. After putting good years, was consistent top performer, promoted, etc..I made made a recommendation for a prospective candidate. After receiving confirmation that this resume and my recommendation was forwarded to the appropriate recruiter and hiring manager, kid you not, they were rejected 5 minutes later...not even the courtesy of a phone interview. Extremely unprofessional to the candidate.

Advice to Management

You need to stop saying one thing and doing another. I'm sure someone will reach out and ask me to email them about "more feedback." You guys know what you are doing...just change it and maybe your retention will be better.

"A company with vision, dedication, and heart."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exciting growth with recent acquisition
    Solid benefits
    Elevated, mature workforce
    Dedication from senior leadership to continue diversity initiatives
    Challenging, yet fulfilling, problems to solve
    Supported as a working parent and to maintain a healthy work/life balance

Cons

As with any company, there are growing pains that come along with change. However, no significant 'cons' that I've encountered in my time here.

"Pros and Cons"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Eventbrite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Beautiful office
    -Nice perks
    -Work life balance
    -Access to great events
    -Perfect place to start an entry-level job

Cons

Here were my determining factors in deciding why to leave one of the 'Best Places to Work':

1. It's hard to get an honest opinion about other employees' experience when the company places pressure on current employees to inflate the ratings.

2. Some of the worst management style I have ever come across in my career. My manager was extremely incompetent and has never managed a group of people before Eventbrite. They would give inconsistent feedback and empty promises on career growth and advancement. Their entire team has now left the company.

3. Compensation is below market rates. Management tries to bake the perks of the company into your package, however, this should be an added bonus, not part of your yearly compensation.

4. Part of the motivation driver of the sales team is fear. There is a top-down culture that creates politics and tension. Consistent layoffs mixed with irrational, quick decisions creates a layer of paranoia that is deeply rooted into the team and culture.

Advice to Management

Value your employees and ask for open, transparent feedback.