Eventbrite Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Eventbrite Co-Founder & CEO Julia Hartz
Julia Hartz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance here is the best of any company I have ever worked for (in 34 reviews)

• I couldn't ask for a better work/life balance (in my position, you can work from home (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any company, there are growing pains that come along with change (in 11 reviews)

• Management didn't show the most interest in supporting entry level career growth, though admittedly they had very busy schedules (in 10 reviews)

1. "Best Company in Nashville Hands Down"

Current Employee - Sales in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Sales in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I moved to Nashville I was looking for something challenging, fast paced and a great work environment. Eventbrite is every one of these and then some. I absolutely love coming to work. The people that they hire are extremely driven. It is a work hard, play hard environment. Do your job and enjoy all the great benefits (health insurance, catered in lunch, unlimited snacks, unlimited PTO), So happy to be working for this company and excited to be a part of where we're headed as a team.

Cons

can't think of any

Advice to Management

Things move fast here. Communication could sometimes be better, but that's part of the work environment.

"The best place to work!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is an awesome energy here. Everyone is encouraged to be innovative and bring their own ideas to the table. I have also been impressed with how welcoming everyone is especially with new employees. If you have a question, don't hesitate to ask. Lastly, our CEO is awesome. Each time she speaks, I come away feeling inspired. She is genuine and brilliant at the same time. The empathetic leadership she displays is such a big motivator for me. While we are trying to build a business, I certainly feel she cares about the people that work for her. She is amazing!

Cons

With any company experiencing the type of growth we have in a short time, there are challenges along the way. Some of our HR processes can use refining. As we continue to spread across multiple locations, continue to keep those remote employees engaged and communicate with them in person on key initiatives.

Advice to Management

While it is exciting to see the company grow, let's continue to keep the culture and transparency that makes this a special place to work.

3. "On an upswing"

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time

Pros

Through my time at Eventbrite there have been ups and downs, as I think is natural for a company that is rapidly growing and changing. I would currently say we're at a significant upswing based on recent positive changes made to the business.

It feels good to be at a company that consistently wins- we acquire our largest competitors, are at the forefront of innovation in ticketing, and consistently push the envelope. The business is strong and growing and the future looks bright. That success allows us to reinvest in things that matter for the business.

Our physical office locations around the world are top notch - from sweeping views in our Amsterdam office to the typical "tech perks" in San Francisco, there is no shortage of good vibes in the environment. The company benefits are very fair and the new 401k match is an exciting improvement. The recent work HR did to relevel comp according to market rate was a much needed remedy to our historically below-market pay. It finally feels more equitable to the rest of the tech world in San Francisco.

The leadership culture is evolving for the better as well. I feel proud to work for Julia and believe she is an empathetic leader who truly cares about each employee (especially welcomed in the current "me too" political climate). It's a relief to say that Eventbrite has reinvigorated our HR leadership to be more active in shaping company culture and addressing personnel issues.

Work/life balance here is the best of any company I have ever worked for. Time off is not only ok, it is respected (i.e. you won't be expected to work from the beach), and being able to get home at a reasonable hour most days is such a gift.

Cons

As with any company at this stage of growth, there are times when priorities shift abruptly or things seem to be moving very quickly. There are also longtime employees who are no longer effective or mesh well with current culture, but are kept around for historical knowledge, which is frustrating.

Advice to Management

Continue operating in an open, transparent fashion - that goes a long way for employees.

4. "Best place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Caring and collaborative culture
    - Excellent benefits and perks
    - Ability to grow, think critically, and play a part in larger decision making
    - Thoughtful and invested leadership teams
    - Challenging and rewarding work environment

Cons

- Rapid growth has highlighted opportunities for better change management, but something that is already being quickly addressed by the company

5. "Incredible Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee perks and benefits, work life balance, generous time off, paid parking, fun office environment, open communication, culture

Cons

Business is growing fast, so if you are not flexible or hate change it's not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"a few rotten apples"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Nashville, TN

I worked at Eventbrite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

free lunches, smart people, culture of technical excellence

Cons

the pressure on the company to perform means that management makes short-term decisions that favor employees with "indispensable knowledge" who drive away other good employees by being abrasive and bad team players.

Advice to Management

In the long run you'll be more successful if you actually focus on the culture as much as you say you do.

"Engineers beware"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Eventbrite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Catered lunch 4 days a week

Cons

Of course, a lot of these reviews are biased based on people's experiences. If you're an engineer, I would encourage you to carefully read all of the reviews and consider who wrote these reviews before you make a decision on whether or not to join this company.

- Even though I had expressed concerns about my career growth and offered my help to come up with a path for growth multiple times, my manager never once discussed my career growth or options during my time here.
    - Some of the management here has no business being people managers. I think you'll find this is a common theme among some of the reviews here.
    - Review process was a joke, so your feedback on your manager won't make a difference.
    - Poor transparency and communication. People you are working with on projects would be let go, and it would not be communicated to you.
    - It was a very sales/marketing driven company when I left, which also suggests weak Engineering leadership at the executive level. Features were jammed down developer's throats, and oftentimes incomplete features were released in order to meet deadlines at which time the next feature would get worked on. Tech debt and bad code everywhere.
    - Not a lot of innovation.
    - Compensation is on the lower end of the market.

Advice to Management

Revamp the entire review process. Talk to the individual contributors and skip the managers for feedback. Change engineering leadership.

"New Mama - Career on Track"

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time

Pros

I'm a new mom of twins. Not only did I accept my role at Eventbrite while I was on maternity leave, but Eventbrite was flexible with my start date so I could fulfill my duties as a new mama. Overall, work/life balance is great, while still requiring a high quality of work. This in not a coast-through-your-career kind of place - and I find that those who do well here are oriented around action, teamwork, open-mindedness, and accountability. Corporate bureaucracy is low - action is high.

Cons

It could be easy to burn out, but the company's "take the time you need" vacation policy and general acceptance of vacation helps make up for some intense times.

Advice to Management

Keep balancing empathy with tough business decisions! Hard choices have to be made - this is business after all. We get it.

Mar 8, 2018

Thanks for the kudos on keeping corporate bureaucracy low - no one has time for that! I'm so happy you feel fulfilled in your job and your role as new Mama. That is awesome. Please keep the... More

"The most fulfilling and challenging professional experience I've had to date."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For me, the most important things to find in a company are tough problems to solve, inspiring co-workers, and collaboration. Over the past few years at Eventbrite, I can say without a doubt that I am having the most fulfilling and challenging professional experience I've had to date.

We're at a really interesting point in the Eventbrite's journey, where we are big enough that have resources to go after crazy challenges, but small enough that not everything is figured out yet. After about 6 months of establishing that I was competent at my job, I have felt continuously pushed to raise my hand and solve tough problems. I've gotten to take on responsibilities that are usually reserved for high level management, and I get to work strategically while also getting my hands dirty. I can honestly say I've learned more in my few years here than I had in my whole career prior, and I think the experience I've gotten here sets me up well for the rest of my career. I've always felt encouraged to seek that career growth within Eventbrite.

Solving tough problems is more fun when you work with impressive people, and I feel lucky to be surrounded by some really brilliant individual contributors and inspirational leaders. Even as Eventbrite grows, there is a feeling of a family that Julia has found a way to keep around.

What continues to inspire me about Eventbrite is the spirit of collaboration. Over the past year, and definitely for the next few years to come, we will be figuring out how to work together as a large global company. While these growing pains are really hard to go through for any company, I feel strongly that we will excel - simply due to our dedication to collaboration. I've seen many cross-functional projects exceed expectations, and I've seen us gracefully move through large acquisitions - and it all comes down to collaboration. At the end of the day, we get to solve tough problems, with smart colleagues, and we are dedicated to working together to make it happen. After a few years, that still gets me excited to come to work every day.

Cons

Over the past 2.5 years, we expanded globally very aggressively. We added offices in new countries and added a lot of new Britelings - both organically and via acquisition. This was not an easy expansion to go through.

For me, the biggest downfall of the expansion we've gone through was the fear that our culture could be diluted. There were times when it felt like we were making decisions based 100% on what was good for the bottom line, and losing our focus on growing a people-first, "best company to work for."

While I would say there were a handful of cons that came with this growth (RIFs, lack of focus on global competitive total compensation, feelings of distrust and lack of a clear path forward), I have started to see a clear shift back to our goal of becoming the best ticketing technology company AND the best company to work for - in tandem. This shift is noticeable, especially with the hiring of Omer Cohen, our new Chief People officer, and that prompted me to write this review.

Advice to Management

Over the past 6 months, there has been a clear shift towards reclaiming our "best place to work" focus. I've noticed changes in how transparent e-staff is, I've noticed more input from middle management around the globe, and I've noticed a big change in focus on career growth, L&D, and Total Rewards since Omer joined. Please keep us moving in this direction! We want to be the best ticketing technology company in the world, but we also want to be the best company to work for.

Feb 23, 2018

Wow - thank you for the thoughtful and honest feedback here. I am 100% with you on the importance of balancing our business goals with becoming the best company. One thing I know is that becoming the... More

"So far so good"

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time

Pros

Smart people, growing business. Really nice place to work, good culture and vibe. I'm in my first year and it's been really great so far.

Cons

Lots of meetings and not enough conference rooms.

Advice to Management

More communication on what's happening around the world.

Feb 23, 2018

I'm glad to hear your experience so far has been positive. I appreciate your feedback around global communication! As we expand internationally, creating the space for communication and... More