IBM Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IBM Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated May 27, 2017

2.8

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

I applied online and 3 weeks later got an email for the first interview. The interview was through HireView and it had basic interview questions as well 3 technical questions i remember only one of them, which is the fizz buzz question.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

1. Applied Online- Basic application on their website. Pretty simple. Received reply within about two weeks.
    2. Coding Challenge- 3 coding challenge with 5 behavioral questions and 3 coding. Received reply that I passed within a few days.
    3. Guru Interview - 1 on 1 with a Software Developer at IBM
    4. (still waiting to do my guru interview)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM (San Diego, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Got an email asking to fill a coding challenge on HireVue. Had a few coding questions. Some behavioral type questions that were recorded video. And another recording of the explanation for one of the challenges. – It was all online.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blue Bell, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at IBM (Blue Bell, PA) in March 2017.

Interview

Took the IPAT, which tests you on number sequences and algebra word problems. The number sequences are irrelevant, and the algebra word problems are timed too short. Some people may disagree and say to study first, but I had other interviews to worry about and did not have the time to study for the IPAT just for one interview. Long story short, I did bad on it (and I was at fault for not wanting to waste time studying for it). Still, I was contacted the following day, and asked to do a phone screen. The phone screen was scheduled for the following day, and consisted of a few fundamental technical questions and some questions to get to know your background. It was a short 20 minute call. Later that day I was invited on-site. Two days later, the onsite happened and involved meeting three people: a developer, the developer I spoke to on the phone, and the manager of the team. Both developers were nice, the manager was not. The first developer I met with had me do some whiteboarding. The first questions was too tough for me to handle, so we did a tree traversal problem to add every node at a certain level to an array. I got about 85% of the question as I was choking after the failure of the first problem. The next person I met was the developer I spoke to on the phone. He asked me only fundamental problems and some basic SQL. I nailed that section. The worst part was meeting the manager. For some reason, I could tell he did not like me the moment he laid eyes on me. He started off by asking me what I knew about C++ and Java. I told him I really only knew Java, and my only experience with C++ was in an intro programming class in college. So he saw the potential in grinding me to a pulp, so he went down that route. After that he began asking me questions on Java, I was able to respond with correct answer, but with every correct answer, he would ask a question one level deeper. It got to the point where he was asking me how I would design a critical component of Java myself, something that I could not even find the answer to on Google. I kept asking him to elaborate on what he meant as I fed him answers he did not like. He kept saying "No. No. I am talking high-level here." He did throw in some fair questions that I did not know the answers to as well. Look, I was at fault for not studying up on some concepts, but when a job is listed as "entry-level" and is looking for a minimum for 1 years of experience, do not expect someone to be able to answer some mid-level questions and act like they are a waste of your time for applying to a job that matched the required skillset that was listed.

Interview Questions

• How would you return the average of the sums for every employee per department in SQL?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Boston, MA) in March 2017.

Interview

I first had a technical round that lasted for roughly 40 minutes. This was followed by an HR round which lasted for around 30 mins. Both of these rounds were held in person.In a week's time, I was sent a link to take up the iPAT. On clearing that I was made an offer. The whole process was seamless. The recruiter and Manager were very prompt in replying to all my e-mails throughout the process. All in all, it was a very smooth and pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• Resume based, Projects based and Role based questions.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM in February 2017.

Interview

Emailed by recruiter about a week after applying asking if I was still interested. Set up a phone screen for the next week. Recruiter emailed before scheduled date to cancel and offer the link to a coding challenge instead. Recruiter never emailed the link and did not respond to follow up emails. Spoke with IBM reps at career fair and was told the position was still open and to send another email and CC'ing them. Recruiter responded saying they lost track of me. Finally sent the link to coding challenge consisting of four questions and behavioral questions all being done virtually through HireVue. I managed to answer one question but the rest were very challenging.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Austin, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online, a few weeks later got an email with some test to do that was pretty irrelevant to the job. Had some math I hadn't worried about since high school and it was kinda frustrating because of its irrelevancy. They review your test and determine if they want to further interview you or not.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

I had an HR interview which lasted for 30 mins and immediately I got a coding challenge and was given one day time. Once I submitted the code, I got the technical interview call with two developers on the call. Initially they asked questions on my code followed by few tech questions.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM in October 2016.

Interview

I got email from IBM. First round was telephonic screening interview. It was very easy. Asked me on my resume, projects, sql, linux and java. but very basic questions were there.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Boston, MA) in May 2016.

Interview

Two interviews:
    1. Phone Screening. HR talked a lot about IBM Analytics, asking some of my technical information: Language preferred, past experiences.

2. Techinical Phone Interviews, a friendly guy talked with me about basic programming concepts

Interview Questions

• 1. SQL things: Left Join, View
      2. OOD Concepts