IBM Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 7, 2018

2.8

189 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in December 2017.

Interview

I applied through UNCUBED and 3 weeks later I got an invitation to take part in the first interview where I got to record myself answering 3 technical questions followed by 3 coding questions (45 minutes each) followed by a question where I needed to explain what was I doing in the 3rd coding question and finally what my thought was after taking the interview. The second interview is a GURU interview where I was facing an actual online interviewer over the HIREVUE platform where this 1-hr interview consisted of three parts (technically four); he started with explaining what it is that he does in IBM then asked me about myself. Next, he went over some computer histories and asked me some questions based on Operating System, then a coding (very easy) question, and finally he went over some of my projects.

(I STILL AM WAITING FOR A REPLY BACK FROM IBM thus saying I didn't get the offer)

Interview Questions

• Why IBM?   Answer Question
  • What makes you a good fit for IBM?   Answer Question
  • What was one of the moments where you had to lead your team and in a project and you had a very good impact on the final outcome of that project?   Answer Question
  • First of 3 Coding Questions in the first interview:

Fixed Array N[i], Integers P and Q. If N[i] is divisible by P then print "OUT", and if N[i] is divisible by Q then print "THINK"; if N[i] is divisible by both P and Q then concatenate OUT and THINK (hence, OUTTHINK), and if N[i] isn't divisible by any of P and Q then print the number in that index.   Answer Question
  • Second of the 3 coding question in the first interview:

Names of medication are given in a string and are comma delimited. A second string is given with fewer (may contain names from the first string or may not contain any names in the first string at all). Compare both strings and print out the common names in both strings.   Answer Question
  • Last of the three coding questions in the first interview:

It was an inventory based question.

Apple Sold in the farm

Mango Sold in the farm

100 out of 100 on April 1
    0 out of 200 on April 2
    50 out of 250 on April 3

Output all the sold merchandise in a datewise inventory. (E.g. On April 1, Apple, Orange, and Grapes were sold in x,y, and z amount)   1 Answer
  • The GURU coding question:

A fixed Size array is given, the target is 9. Find as many two numbers from the array that add up to the target. Do not Print the duplicates!   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Software Developer Interview

Interview

The coding challenge was moderately easy with 6 behavioral questions and 3 coding questions. I got a reject after that. I prepared the questions from glassdoor. mostly all of them were on glassdoor.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM in November 2017.

Interview

Received a link to the coding challenge that included 3 general questions where I had to record myself, 3 coding questions, and one question to explain my solution to one of the problems. I completed the interview a few days ago andwaiting to hear back.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your background and how does it fit this role   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM (Baltimore, MD) in October 2017.

Interview

Had me do an online video/code interview. Basically there were a list of questions that I would give a video response for and then some coding questions. The coding questions allow you to enter the code to a web based compiler.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about myself, what did I want to tell them about myself.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IBM in October 2017.

Interview

online coding + guru interview + finish line

I received my congrats email on Oct 16th and was informed that I have passed the online test and would be contacted to schedule Guru and Guide for that position. However, my recruiter forgot to ask me to provide my available time in it. This made me think, okay, I might have to wait until she reaches out for my time schedule.

Until Oct 24th, the same recruiter resent the email which I received on Oct 16th and requested my time schedule. Apparently, she expected me to provide that on Oct 16th, however, she never mentioned it in the previous email.

I responded quickly, told her that I am flexible and gave my available times. After that, I did not hear back from her again.

When it comes to Oct 31st and Nov 1st, I realized that it might be too late for my interview and contacted my recruiter. She told me I had to interview 24 hrs later or chose to wait for possible time windows two weeks later, which I already responded her one week earlier to schedule it. It seems that even though I wrote her to schedule my interview immediately after receiving the requesting email, I did not get my arrangement.

Well, I accepted an interview 24 hrs later. However, it was cancelled 2 hours before the interview. Although it is annoying, I could understand the cancellation.

However, as I explained before, the recruiter delayed my interview arrangement twice, otherwise, I would have already scheduled it and never got cancelled.

If every recruiter could manipulate and intervene candidates' interview process in this delaying way, I could not imagine what the future of IBM hiring would look like. When I contacted them, IBMers acted like IBM is the best company in the world, they have every reason to do all of these, they could force me to take an interview within 24 hours without asking my schedule, and they could cancel it 2 hours before the interview, they could forget to ask a candidate's timeline even if they need to move forward. Wake up, dude! This is not 2000 anymore, there are tons of better tech companies than IBM in this world. Goodbye, IBM

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM in September 2017.

Interview

Online process using Hire Vue comprised of three open answer (mostly behavioral) questions, then three coding questions (30 min, 45 min, 45 min), then three more open answer questions that leaned more towards the technical side (i.e. Explain the method you used on the third challenge). For each open answer question, I received the prompt, had around 2 minutes or less to plan a response, then either hit record or the video started recording automatically. There was only one chance to record an answer.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a language you are learning right now and what its benefits and disadvantages are.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM in September 2017.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (Berkeley, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied online after school event and they got back to me in 5 days. It was heavily focused on string parsings and regular expressions which I don't really like. Also, during the coding, the camera was turned on the whold time (which means it was turned on for almost 2 hours and half). I felt like I was supervised even though it was an online coding challenge. I prepared data structure part for the position, but while I was taking it, I realized that their interview questions were not testing what i am good at. So, I felt they don't fit into my career.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

Two days finish line event, require to design minimum variable product.
    It is better to have a prototype using IBM product like node-red, bluemix/watson API.
    It is a team work and every team has an mentor which is very helpful.

Software Developer Interview

Interview

University Hire. Spoke with recruiter then was contacted by hiring manager. Had a quick chat with the hiring manager and went over resume. Got asked about previous internship. No technical questions were asked