IBM Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IBM Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 15, 2017

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blue Bell, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at IBM (Blue Bell, PA) in March 2017.

Interview

Took the IPAT, which tests you on number sequences and algebra word problems. The number sequences are irrelevant, and the algebra word problems are timed too short. Some people may disagree and say to study first, but I had other interviews to worry about and did not have the time to study for the IPAT just for one interview. Long story short, I did bad on it (and I was at fault for not wanting to waste time studying for it). Still, I was contacted the following day, and asked to do a phone screen. The phone screen was scheduled for the following day, and consisted of a few fundamental technical questions and some questions to get to know your background. It was a short 20 minute call. Later that day I was invited on-site. Two days later, the onsite happened and involved meeting three people: a developer, the developer I spoke to on the phone, and the manager of the team. Both developers were nice, the manager was not. The first developer I met with had me do some whiteboarding. The first questions was too tough for me to handle, so we did a tree traversal problem to add every node at a certain level to an array. I got about 85% of the question as I was choking after the failure of the first problem. The next person I met was the developer I spoke to on the phone. He asked me only fundamental problems and some basic SQL. I nailed that section. The worst part was meeting the manager. For some reason, I could tell he did not like me the moment he laid eyes on me. He started off by asking me what I knew about C++ and Java. I told him I really only knew Java, and my only experience with C++ was in an intro programming class in college. So he saw the potential in grinding me to a pulp, so he went down that route. After that he began asking me questions on Java, I was able to respond with correct answer, but with every correct answer, he would ask a question one level deeper. It got to the point where he was asking me how I would design a critical component of Java myself, something that I could not even find the answer to on Google. I kept asking him to elaborate on what he meant as I fed him answers he did not like. He kept saying "No. No. I am talking high-level here." He did throw in some fair questions that I did not know the answers to as well. Look, I was at fault for not studying up on some concepts, but when a job is listed as "entry-level" and is looking for a minimum for 1 years of experience, do not expect someone to be able to answer some mid-level questions and act like they are a waste of your time for applying to a job that matched the required skillset that was listed.

Interview Questions

• How would you return the average of the sums for every employee per department in SQL?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Austin, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online, a few weeks later got an email with some test to do that was pretty irrelevant to the job. Had some math I hadn't worried about since high school and it was kinda frustrating because of its irrelevancy. They review your test and determine if they want to further interview you or not.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

I had an HR interview which lasted for 30 mins and immediately I got a coding challenge and was given one day time. Once I submitted the code, I got the technical interview call with two developers on the call. Initially they asked questions on my code followed by few tech questions.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM in October 2016.

Interview

I got email from IBM. First round was telephonic screening interview. It was very easy. Asked me on my resume, projects, sql, linux and java. but very basic questions were there.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Boston, MA) in May 2016.

Interview

Two interviews:
    1. Phone Screening. HR talked a lot about IBM Analytics, asking some of my technical information: Language preferred, past experiences.

2. Techinical Phone Interviews, a friendly guy talked with me about basic programming concepts

Interview Questions

• 1. SQL things: Left Join, View
      2. OOD Concepts
      3. More about my technical background
      Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM in May 2016.

Interview

Applied to a couple positions on their career site and received an email to take some kind of aptitude test. I'm not really sure if/how that was factored in my application by the team that hired me. After a couple of weeks or so, I received an email from the manager that hired me and did about three interviews (two behavioral and one technical) with him and his team. This entire process took about a month and a half.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your yourself.
      Tell me about your experience with this skill, X.
      Talk about X on your resume.
      Asked various situational questions to assess your problem solving skills.
      1 Answer

Negotiation

The negotiation was done with HR. The HR representative I worked with told me the wage was based on the number of college credits you had and if you had worked with IBM previously.

Anonymous Employee in Littleton, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Littleton, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

I had two phone screenings which lasted about 30 minutes each. We talked about my relevant experience in classes and previous internships.

After the two phone interviews, I was called onsite. Overall, the experience was smooth and they communicated well.

Interview Questions

• Since I was applying for a team whose work pertained to incorporating machine learning into their services, questions I was asked had to do with training and evaluation of learning models, e.g. what metrics would you use to compare the performance of two classifiers and why?
      Things of that nature.

There was also timed online assessment I had to take, which contained logic and arithmetic problems.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Davis, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Davis, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

I got recruited through LinkedIn. First round on college campus, then google hangout, then I have to take a IPAT test. They wanted to know what you wanted to do in the future like in 10 years. People were very nice. I told them I wanted to be a product manager and they asked many questions about it but they respect my choice. Unlike other company I interviewed with who looked down on me when I say I wanted to be a product manager.

Interview Questions

• Given a number and an array. Find three numbers from the array that their sum equal to the given number.   2 Answers

Negotiation

Depends on what they offer you. If you have a high offer, then they say they already give you a very generous offer. But I will still negotiate and say "look i have this much experience compare to others ....." they will say no at first but that is what every recruiter do in negotiation phase just overwrite their "no this salary is set".

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Burlington, VT) in November 2015.

Interview

I found them at a college career fair, handed them my application, and they called me up to have a phone chat. I elaborated on what my resume said and talked about the classes I was taking that semester and the next as to give them an idea of what skills I would have coming into the job. I was latter emailed a link to an hour long logic test that consisted half of multiple choice pattern matching and half of multiple choice word math problems. I felt good about the test. I was called up latter to be told I go the job and I was asked to start the on-boarding process.

Interview Questions

• Are you okay with learning the following languages at least in part on your own before starting?   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM in October 2015.

Interview

First, I was given a coding challenge where I was asked to do some coding in java. This took about 3 hours. Then a week later, I had a live, online interview via webcam with two employees there for about 45 minutes. They asked about my experience and some basic java questions.

Interview Questions

• What is reflection in java?   1 Answer