IBM Rational Software Delivery Developer Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IBM Rational Software Delivery Developer Intern Interview Questions

1 Interview Review

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Rational Software Delivery Developer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM in February 2014.

Interview

After applying through the company website, I received an email about a week and a half later that said I needed to complete their IPAT Test (which is pretty much a pattern recognition and math problem solving test, and most math problems were the "if a train leaves the station at 9am going 100km/h, and another train leaves at 9:30am going 80km/h, when will they meet?" type of question).

While I was writing the test (which I thought was very difficult), I received another email saying that I had been selected for an interview. This means that they had selected me for an interview before I had completed the test (and before seeing my result), which I thought was strange.

The interview was around an hour long. I was interviewed by three people: one was the team lead, the other was a system admin, and the other was a current intern. They began by telling me about their team and what they did, and then proceeded to ask me about my resume. They were extremely thorough, going through my resume line by line and asking me to elaborate on every point I made.

After that, they asked some behavioural questions. The two I can remember were:

- "What would you do if an important client had completely changed their mind about what they wanted, and that meant that you had to restart from scratch to fulfill their new request?"

- "How would you deal with a member of a team that wasn't pulling their weight on a project?"

From there, they began to ask basic technical questions. The first were simple ones about general web development (what's a CSS media query, how does search engine optimization work, what are some best practices in web security). The next questions were related to Java (explain the differences between procedural programming vs object oriented programming, what's an object, what's a thread). The last few questions were related to linux system administration (how do you add a new user, how would you schedule a task to execute a week from now). The final question was kind of unexpected, since it was simply "what is agile development?"

The interview concluded with all three interviewers talking about open source projects they had been working on.

Interview Questions

• On a linux system, how would you schedule a task to execute a week from now?   1 Answer